Monday 28 August 2017

Mixed Gingham Shirt

It is speculated that the fabric now known as gingham may have been made at Guingamp, a town in Brittany, France, and that the fabric may be named after the town. Some sources say that the name came into English via Dutch. When originally imported into Europe in the 17th century, gingham was a striped fabric, though now it is distinguished by its checkered pattern. From the mid-18th century, when it was being produced in the mills of Manchester in England, it started to be woven into checked or plaid patterns (often blue and white). 

I went to the haberdashers to buy a simple zip and this fabric (ordinary gingham I call it ordinary as i is fabric we use for summer school uniforms here in the UK) started crying for my help! I usually close my eyes but my zeal got the best of me so I rushed home cut it and made a smart casual shirt. I used purple for the button stand collar and cuffs, yellow for the collar stand and yoke and navy blue for the body.Happy with how it turned out. I have made it in various configurations ever since

See more of this Shirt here


No comments:

Post a Comment